Saudi Arabia says four of its soldiers have been killed in attacks by the Yemeni fighters and their allied forces in the southwestern cities of Jizan and Najran near the border with Yemen.
In the attacks, which lasted from dawn to noon on Friday, dozens of Yemenis were also killed by the Saudi forces, Riyadh said in a Joint Armed Forces statement published on the official Saudi news agency SPA late on Friday.
Saudi fighter jets also bombarded areas in Yemen’s provinces of Shabwah and Hajjah on Friday. At least 11 people were killed and one person was wounded in the attacks on the Harad district of Hajjah province.
Saudi warplanes also pounded the northern province of Sa’ada over 20 times in less than an hour, and killed three people and injured eight others in the residential areas in the Rahban district of the province.
In other air assaults on Friday, the Riyadh regime’s fighter jets targeted a military base in Yemen’s Lahij province and hit several areas in the capital Sana’a, the possible casualties of which have not yet been reported.
On June 2, the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) reported that from May 27 to June 2, two Yemeni children had been killed and 30 others maimed during the attacks.
Saudi Arabia has intensified its aerial bombardment of different Yemeni cities ahead of the UN-brokered talks among the country’s political factions scheduled to be held in Geneva, Switzerland, on June 14.
The Riyadh regime launched the military aggression against Yemen on March 26. Saudi Arabia is trying to undermine the Ansarullah revolutionaries of the Houthi movement, now in control of Sana’a and several major provinces, and bring back to power Yemen’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
Saudi Arabia’s war on Yemen has not been endorsed by the UN. The world body has said that about 2,000 people have been killed and over 500,000 displaced as a result of the conflict in the Arab country since March 19.